Each medium will have additional submission criteria, relevant to the chosen discipline. However, all submissions should adhere to the following:
- Your creation should represent a real building or place in Northern Ireland
- The building or place should be historic (over 30 years old)
- We want you to try and capture how the building or place makes you feel, or the stories behind it
- You can use whatever you want to make or present your work, however it must also be able to be displayed or heard in a digital format (this includes digital photograph(s) of an artwork, a video or a sound recording)*
- We ask that if you are making a video, it should be no more than 3 minutes long
- Submissions must be sent electronically, via the link provided in the online form, or emailed separately upon submission of the form to [email protected] with the subject Heritage Arts Challenge. All submitted files should be in a standard file format which do not require specialist software to open.
- Submissions can be works in progress, and do not have to be a finished piece.
- Entrants must be 16 or over at time of submission.
*Whilst we welcome artworks of any media or discipline, we have selected five key art forms upon which our mentors will be focusing:
- Drawing & Illustration
- Song Writing
The mentors will choose selected entries for development based on judging criteria. Whilst professionals are encouraged to apply, applications with the most scope for development will be prioritised for individual workshops. However, if your submission is not selected for development, we may still contact you with the opportunity to display or perform your work at the Heritage Angel Awards.
You can see individual guidance on submission for each art form below.
Additional Submission Criteria: Drawing & Illustration
You will be required to submit one drawing or illustration of your chosen building or place. This can include a series of drawings if they work together to create a composition, however they must form part of the same piece of work. The piece can be in a medium of your choice, such as pen and ink, pencil, watercolour etc. and can include digital drawings or illustrations.
For submission, you can scan your work, or include up to 3 photographs. If you are sending photographs you should include one of the whole piece, then you may wish to include photographs of details within the drawing or illustration.
Additional Submission Criteria: Song writing
You will be required to submit one verse & chorus of a song, inspired by your chosen building or place, and an indication of the accompanying melody. If you would like to record the song for submission, this does not have to be performed by you; however, you should indicate this in your application form. Applicants will not be penalised for others performing their work, however they should have the permission of the performer prior to submission.
For submission, you should send a written copy of your lyrics and either a written melody (which can be chord symbols or in musical notation), or a recording of the song.
Additional Submission Criteria: Photography
You will be required to submit one photograph of your chosen building or place. This can include a series of photographs if they work together to create a composition, however they must form part of the same piece of work. Digital manipulation of images for artistic effect is permitted.
Additional Submission Criteria: Poetry
You will be required to submit a poem inspired by your chosen building or place. The submission should be no more than 40 lines.
Additional Submission Criteria: Prose
You will be required to submit a piece of prose inspired by your chosen building or place. The submission should be no more than 500 words, however this can be an unfinished piece or an extract from a longer piece.
Ready to Enter? Submit Now!