Extensively revised and reprinted 2008
Originally printed 1975 and 1977
10in x 8in, vii & 224pp, Hardback, 127 colour photos.
24 in stock
This book is designed as a general introduction to the architecture of Ulster. When it was first published in 1975 it won high acclaim for its concise and authoritative text, for its numerous high quality illustrations and for the manageable form of its presentation. In this new edition, the content has been revised and updated.
In the past anyone interested in the architecture of Ulster has been obliged to satisfy their curiosity through a bewildering array of surveys, local histories, guides and gazetteers. This book opens up to the general reader a broad insight into the wonderful variety, richness and chronological range of the provinces architectural heritage. By use of examples drawn from all nine counties, it illustrates the development of local architecture from the prehistoric period to the present day. It identifies many of those characteristics which are particular to Ulster and relates themto the development of styles elsewhere. For anyone wishing to expand their knowledge of Ulster’s architectural legacy, this book offers an indespensible starting point.
[Extracts from An Introduction to Ulster Architecture, by Hugh Dixon, revised and republished by the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society in 2008.]
Late Neo-Classical: Old Museum Building, College Square, Belfast (1831) and The Music Hall (now Victoria Memorial Hall), May Street, Belfast (1840):Following the example set by Sir John Soane’s designs for the Belfast Academical Institution which was founded in 1810, the city of Belfast took on a determined classical aspect which resulted in it receiving the nickname ‘The Athens of the North’ in some contemporary journals. Looking about the City now it is difficult to believe that such a title could be meant or taken seriously. Yet that was perhaps the most attractive moment of the City’s development; the two large squares were laid out and not cluttered with buildings of too large a scale, and the porticos of at least seven churches showed that the classical revival reigned supreme. But the style was not confined to churches. The Museum building, designed by local men Thomas Duff and Thomas Jackson, and opened in 1831 embodied in both style and function the spirit of the new enlightenment. The Music Hall in May Street, also designed by Jackson, opened as late as 1840, proclaims with even more sculptural facades the same values.
[Note: The Old Museum is now home to UAH; sadly, the old Music Hall was demolished in 1983, and after some years of serving as a car park, it is now the site of an office block.]
|Dimensions||24.5 × 2 × 28.5 cm|