Check out our Directory of Traditional Building Skills

You are here: Home > What is Conservation Area Consent?

What is Conservation Area Consent?

A separate consent in addition to planning permission is required for demolition in conservation areas. This is known as Conservation Area Consent and alternatively as “consent for demolition in a Conservation Area” and applications carry the suffix /DCA.

Section 105 of the Planning Act (NI) 2011 requires that ‘where any area is for the time being designated as a conservation area special attention shall be paid to the desirability of preserving or enhancing its character or appearance’.


Support the conservation, restoration and re-use of Ulster's built heritage.

Become a member
Case Studies
Hilden National School Hilden View Project
Top Click to access the login or register cheese